There are various home remedies to prevent kidney stones but before discussing them, lets discuss what are kidney stones. Kidneys are excretory organ which eliminates body waste from blood which is excreted out through urine. When certain waste get accumulated in kidneys due to lack of fluid in blood, it will lead to formation of kidney stones.
Types of Kidney Stones:
- Calcium stones: It is the most common kidney stones which can be either calcium oxalate or calcium phosphate.
- Uric Acid Stones: It is formed when urine contains too much acid.
- Struvite Stones: More common in women which results due to kidney infection.
- Cystine: Rare in nature but occurs when cysteine (natural acid in body) leaks into urine.
Kidney stones are quite painful but don’t cause any permanent trouble if treated on time.
What are the first signs of Kidney Stones?
The following kidney stones symptoms are noticed when stones move around kidney or passes into your ureter:
- Increase in need to urinate but in small amounts
- Pain in back and side below the ribs
- Pain starting from lower abdomen and going backwards
- Pain fluctuates its intensity
- Nausea and vomiting
- Fever can be there if infection
As the stones move through urinary tract the amount of pain and its location can be changed accordingly. One should take medical help if above symptoms persists.
What is the main Cause of Kidney Stones?
- If you have family history of stones then you are more prone to develop it (genetics).
- If we do not drink plenty of water then we are at a risk of developing kidney stones.
- Weight gain can also be the cause of kidney stones.
- Excessive salt, sugar or protein in diet can lead to kidney stones.
- Some medical conditions which disturbs digestive process can also results in kidney stones.
How to Prevent Kidney Stones:
- Drink more fluids and stay hydrated.
- Decrease sodium content in your diet.
- One should eat calcium rich food.
- Avoid oxalate-rich food.
- Avoid animal protein.
What food should be avoided for Kidney Stones?
- Nuts and its products
- Wheat bran
- Milk and dairy products
Home remedies to prevent Kidney Stones:
How to use:
- Soak overnight, 250gms of kulthi dal in 3litre of water
- Pressure cook in low sim for 4hrs in morning.
- When water remains 1litre, then add ghee and other spices.
- Consume this dal to remove kidney stones.
Kidney stones can redevelop in your body, so you should always take care of your food habits and should take medical help when needed. Other home remedies to prevent kidney stones are discussed in next blog.