There are various scientific as well as Ayurvedic ways on how to improve eye health. The eye makes us able to see so we should never take it for granted. The world is beautiful and you should be thankful to God that you are capable to see its beauty. In the past, it has been observed that as we grow older, our eyesight becomes weak, but nowadays we have seen most of the children with poor vision. So it is our responsibility to take care of our eye health.
Reasons for poor eyesight :
Vision problems can be of two types:
- Refractive: It happens when eye is not able to focus the light properly.
- Myopia: Disability to see distant objects clearly.
- Hypermetropia: Disability to see nearby objects clearly.
- Presbyopia: Loss of vision with age
- Astigmatism: Blurred vision due to abnormal curvature of cornea.
- Amblyopia (lazy eye): Decreased vision in one eye.
- Strabismus: Crossed-eyes (most common eye problem in children) in which eyes are misaligned.
- Non-Refractive: It is caused by eye diseases e.g. glaucoma, cataract, retinoblastoma etc.
Most of the children suffer from refractive eye problems. Many such symptoms and how to improve eye health are discussed point wise.
Symptoms to judge that your child is suffering from poor vision:
- Frequent headaches
- Blinking of eyes
- Eye rubbing
- Covering one eye
- Reading from very close to eyes
- Losing place while reading
- Difficulty in remembering what child has read.
- Double views of images
- Short attention span
Myths and Facts about poor vision:
- Myth: Watching TV from too close is bad for eyes.
Fact: Sitting close is sign of Myopia.
- Myth: Genetics may cause poor vision.
Fact: This is true, if parents have poor eyesight their children can also develop it.
- Myth: Eating more carrots is good for eyesight.
Fact: It is right that carrots are rich in Vitamin-A but a well-balanced diet can provide sufficient vitamin-A required for good vision.
- Myth: Computer use can damage the eyes.
Fact: Computer usage do not harm your eyes but can cause eye strain or dry eyes for which you should take frequent break.
- Myth: Wearing glasses will make eyes dependent on them.
Fact: It is not true rather it will make one see properly.
Tips for eye care
Eyes are an important part of our body, we should take care of them properly. Some of the common steps for maintaining healthy eyes are as follows:
- Eat balanced diet to protect your eyesight.
- Maintain healthy body weight as obese people can suffer from
diabetes whichcan lead to vision loss.
- Do not smoke.
- Protect your eyes from UV rays and wear sunglasses.
restof at least 5minutes after one hour of continuous work before computer.
- Examine your eyes regularly to know the health of your eyes.
- Keep your eyes clean to avoid eye infection.
- Know your family history about eyes to know how to improve eye health.
Healthy eating habit for eyes:
A good eye care starts with balanced diet which includes proteins, dairy, fruits and vegetables.
Food good for eyes:
- Fish: Contains Omega-3 Fatty acids which helps in vision development and help in preventing dry eyes.
- Eggs: Good for eye health. It contains vitamin-A, lutein, zeaxanthin and zinc.
- Dairy products: Milk and yoghurt are good for eyes which contains vitamin-A and zinc.
- Citrus fruits: Contains vitamin-C which helps in maintaining healthy eye blood vessels.
- Carrots: Contains vitamin-A and beta carotene helps in preventing eye infections.
- Almonds: Contains Vitamin-E which helps in preventing age-related problems of eye.
So we should eat healthy and take care of our eyes to improve eye health. We should always seek professional’s advice whenever needed.